TUELO is led by South African born Tuelo Minah who brings her traditional influences to the bold, soulful, punk-rock sound from New York City that can simply be dubbed revival music. There is heartbreaking storytelling and rebellious passion in Tuelo’s music, with an unraveling mind and captivating voice which inspired a recent Huffington Post article to dub her “New York’s Best Singer (and the world’s)!”
TUELO sounds like the wild child of Nina Simone and David Bowie, who grew up with Sex Pistols and Blondie posters on her wall, and was taught music by Miriam Makeba. Fate was on her side…from a shy, non-singingchild to being a vocalist on Grammy winning albums, it is destined that TUELO will carve out a permanent and memorable place in popular music worldwide. After an homage album to her homeland with her cousins in 2014, we are now seeing the emergence of a new, courageous and raw TUELO that will make waves in the music world from Cape Town to LA. They are crafting powerful, raw live show experiences and bringing soul revival in their recently released multi-genre EP album Saint Margaret.
- Single Saint Margaret premiered on Consequence of Sound
- EP release of Saint Margaret premiered on Earmilk
- Her live performances were reviewed as “an inspiring and spiritual experience” by Afropunk
- The Kennedy Center has commissioned a musical theater work based on her life story and music title “Dreamer” that will premiere in May 2020.
- Tuelo represents nuance and diversity, with an emotional voice, stories for days, and a new perspective on music
- Her upcoming album “Killer” is built around themes of death, destruction, resurrection, and reconciliation and will be ready for release mid 2020.